Rube Goldberg Launch Event: Outdoor Community Jam Session
Wed, May 24, Jam Session is from 7 PM – 8:30 PM
Held on the Maltz Museum Patio (if it rains, we will meet inside)
$5 per person, maximum of $20 per family; Free for Maltz Museum Members
If purchasing more than 4 tickets use code FAMILY or call to receive the $20 rate.
Rube Goldberg™: The World of Hilarious Invention! Exhibit opens at the Maltz Museum on Wednesday, May 24 with a family-friendly launch event. Tour the new special exhibition and the museum’s permanent collections anytime during the museum’s open hours. Then, from 7 pm to 8:30 pm, in the spirit of Rube Goldberg, create musical machines with a Community Jam Session led by teaching artists and musicians from Roots of American Music. Guests are invited to bring their own instruments and/or voices to participate. No experience required to join the fun. All ages and skill levels welcome.
Created by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh in partnership with the Heirs of Rube Goldberg, Rube Goldberg™: The World of Hilarious Invention! Exhibit (on view May 24 – August 27, 2023) showcases Pulitzer Prize winning humorist and inventor Rube Goldberg’s iconic contraptions and celebrates his humorous storytelling and inventive cartoons. Inspired by Rube’s original illustrations, the exhibit contains a collection of new 3D, life-size machines and hands-on, interactive components that connect Rube’s iconic cartoon contraptions to the way things work in the physical world. These experiences provide insight into the legacy of Rube Goldberg and how classic engineering principles can be reimagined as entry points for deeper exploration of STEAM concepts for 21st century learning.
Visitors can activate and create crazy chain-reaction contraptions that use everyday objects to complete simple tasks in the most overcomplicated, inefficient, and hilarious ways possible! Rube Goldberg machines are many things, but they aren’t perfect. Find the fun in failure stepping into the role of illustrator, storyteller, and inventor. Exhibition highlights include:
- See a Rube-inspired way to paint a picture in the 3D version of Ed Steckley’ s “An Epic Way to Paint a Picture”®
- Move balls and ramps to trigger chain reaction machines in Wall Machines, then figure out how they work by resetting each part.
- Be inspired by Rube Goldberg’s drawing techniques to create your own hilarious cartoon in the Art Studio and then see how it looks at the Revolvometer.
- Pull ropes to start a series of musical chain reactions in the large-scale sound animation Music Machine.
- Step into one of Rube’s iconic wearables, “Self-Operating Napkin.”®, for a one-of-a-kind photo op.